Our collective agreement for Christmas dinner would be Iris’ hijiki rice and crispy roast pork belly. Iris is my mom’s cousin who is has a lot great recipes that I’m so happy she shares with me. She’s the lead cook at her church’s ladies group which makes delicous food items and hand crafted pieces for their annual bazaar in October.
Hijiki rice was one of the items from the bazaar that was so delicious that I asked her for the recipe and asked if she could show me how to do it. It is a seasoned rice dish with sushi rice with hiijiki (seaweed), vegetables, konnyaku (a jelly-like item made out of the Konnyaku potato) and kamaboko (fishcake)
I got Mom and Dad involved with the prep and the taste testing. At first I thought there was a lot of chopping but I remember Iris telling to use the food processor to do all the chopping.
It was a very tasty meal and glad we made it. We will be making few adjustments–less soaking of the rice, maybe add mushroom or string beans for our next try.
Iris’s Hijiki Bara Sushi
4 cups (rice cooker cups) of rice-cooked
Filling for rice
3/4 cup hijiki, washed and soaked
1 gobo, chopped fine, soak in water so it doesn’t brown until ready to cook, drain well
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 konnyaku, chopped fine
1/2 Kamaboko (uzumaki, without the board), chopped fine
2 aburage, chopped fine
1 Tbsp oil (should be a neutral oil, like canola)
Sauce for filling
3 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 cup Shoyu (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon Hondashi (instant dashi)
-Mix together well.
Vinegar sauce for rice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1 tsp salt
ginger, 1″ piece, minced finely
-Mix everything together except ginger in sauce pan, bring to boil and cool. Add ginger and mixed well.
- Cut all ingredients for filling [Iris suggest to use the food processor]
- Make vinegar sauce, set aside to cool
- Cook rice
- While rice is cooking, start cooking the filling
- Add oil to frying pan on med-high, add aburage until crispy
- Add carrots and gobo, cook about 2 minutes
- Add hijiki, konnyaku, and kamaboko, cook for couple more minutes
- Add filling sauce, turn down heat to medium
- Mix well and cook until carrots are tender
- Rice should be cooked by then, add vinegar sauce to hot rice, mix well
- Then add filling to the rice, mix well
Additional add-in for filling: shiitake mushroom, string bean