If you read the information about the CAL, it takes about 11 weeks. And yes, it’s 5 months since I started and I’m only half way done. I kind lost steam mid-January. I’m hoping this post will shame me into finally finishing it. Here are picture of what I’ve done. Remember there were a lot of ripping out as I would find mistakes.
Sometimes you just have to let the mistake be a happy one.
With this CAL, there were YouTube video for each section. Without those I probably would have a pile of yarn, trying to figure out what to do. A Scheepjes Blogger Esther Dijkstra from It’s all in a Nutshell did the videos. She had a calming voice and pointing out area where to watch out for as it was difficult section.
This is where I’m at, all four corner ready to be attached to the blanket. I know this this will need all my attention and time. That’s my excuse I’ve been using to get to the next step. I need to get to next step because the elephants are there. Hopefully, I’ll be done by my birthday so I can buy another kit. I’ve gained a lot of confidence and knowledge from this project. I’m still in AWE of Christina Hadderingh design skills. I can even figure out how she visualized in her head. I’ll hope she know she made many people happy and proud their work.
I hope the “third time’s the charm” comes true as this is my third time trying to post this. I’m starting from scratch deleted what was left of the post. I’ll try and keep is short.
I went out thrifting on President’s day, looking for fabric and yarn for my inventory for my Etsy shop (opening in March). Yarn selection was a bust, just a bunch of bland acrylic yarn. But in my roaming for a good deal, I spied a knitted top hanging at the end of the ladies dresses.
“Hmmm. This looks interesting.” as I walked up to it.
It looked hand knitted but had a Free People tag. It was linen, cotton, and rayon blend yarn of worsted weight. It was unravelling at the shoulder strap and I guess that what it got put back on the rack. Unravelling is good sign as I just want the yarn and would be taking it apart. The price was $8.49, less than one skein of this type of yarn and I probably get at three skeins worth.
In the end I bought it for $8.49 plus 25% off because of President’s day and good 360+ grams of yarn.
By the way, I google this top and it was originally selling for $148. I think I got a good deal, don’t you think.
For a bit. I needed a project I could finish in a short amount of time without help from a tutorial video.
Hats, beanies, toques whatever you call them are my quick go-to project for something I can accomplish in a short amount of time. And that’s what decided to do. I used Graham by Jennifer Adams and Barley by Tin Can Knits. I’ve knitted both these patterns before and loved the easy of the pattern and the look of the hats.
All the yarn was from my every growing stash and a frogged cowl that I didn’t like how the stripping was looking. The striping turned out better on the hats.
In the end, I knitted four hats, 1 Graham and 3 Barley and I satisfied my need to finish something. The hats are on their way to Hawaii Pacific Health Cancer Center for their clients to wear during treatments.
Side Note: My dad have been receiving treatment for Lymphoma at the Hawaii Pacific Health Cancer Center and the care has been great. I wanted to give back in return in my appreciation. He is feeling well and continues singing, drawing and entertaining everyday.
Final square done. Now to steam block and putting them together. Will stitch together with navy blue used in the blocks. Still thinking about the border and the backing and what to do. I’ll wait till they’re all together to make that decision.