Marling?

I saw a post from Modern Daily Knitting about marling; the image intrigued me, and I made a mental note to go back to look at it. Well, several days later I couldn’t find it. So I googled Marling and found a post about marling on Tin Can Knits and a quick and easy hat pattern to try out the technique.

4 strands for my Snap hat

Marling is knitting holding 2 or more different strands of yarn to create a speckled fabric. I tried out his technique with mostly the same weight of yarn I had in my stash. I knew I wanted to do something with an ombre and decided to get the Snap hat pattern to try out this technique. I’ve been looking for a quick pattern during my rest periods between sections from my Shawlography Westknits MKAL 2021. Haha.

Here’s what I got. One of the benefits of this marling project is I got to use yarn from my stash, and it turns sock and lace weight yarn into bulky to make knitting up the hat a quick and very satisfying project.

For my marling project, the colors I started with were navy, teal, pink, and variegated yarn.

Most of the yarn I got from Savers, only the variegated yarn, was from my yarn gift from a friend who was getting rid of most of her stash. My plan was to do an ombre from dark to light. The pattern said to change the one yarn every 4-6 rows to create the ombre.

Switched out the navy with gray

After 6 more rows, I switched out the teal with medium magenta. I continued with this colorway till the decrease section. Then I swapped out the variegated yarn with another strand of pink.


Ta-Dah! My finished Snap hat with a big fluffy pom-pom in all 6 colors. Love the way the ombre turned out. I would love to make a blanket with this technique. I’ll just add it to my to-do project list and look out for a colorful sock or lace yarn sale.

Thrifting for repurpose, redo #3

I hope the “third time’s the charm” comes true as this is my third time trying to post this. I’m starting from scratch deleted what was left of the post. I’ll try and keep is short.

I went out thrifting on President’s day, looking for fabric and yarn for my inventory for my Etsy shop (opening in March). Yarn selection was a bust, just a bunch of bland acrylic yarn. But in my roaming for a good deal, I spied a knitted top hanging at the end of the ladies dresses.

“Hmmm. This looks interesting.” as I walked up to it.

The frogging (knitting term for ripping out) begins

It looked hand knitted but had a Free People tag. It was linen, cotton, and rayon blend yarn of worsted weight. It was unravelling at the shoulder strap and I guess that what it got put back on the rack. Unravelling is good sign as I just want the yarn and would be taking it apart. The price was $8.49, less than one skein of this type of yarn and I probably get at three skeins worth.

In the end I bought it for $8.49 plus 25% off because of President’s day and good 360+ grams of yarn.

By the way, I google this top and it was originally selling for $148. I think I got a good deal, don’t you think.

Back to Knitting. . .

For a bit. I needed a project I could finish in a short amount of time without help from a tutorial video.

Hats, beanies, toques whatever you call them are my quick go-to project for something I can accomplish in a short amount of time. And that’s what decided to do. I used Graham by Jennifer Adams and Barley by Tin Can Knits. I’ve knitted both these patterns before and loved the easy of the pattern and the look of the hats.

All the yarn was from my every growing stash and a frogged cowl that I didn’t like how the stripping was looking. The striping turned out better on the hats.

In the end, I knitted four hats, 1 Graham and 3 Barley and I satisfied my need to finish something. The hats are on their way to Hawaii Pacific Health Cancer Center for their clients to wear during treatments.

Side Note: My dad have been receiving treatment for Lymphoma at the Hawaii Pacific Health Cancer Center and the care has been great. I wanted to give back in return in my appreciation. He is feeling well and continues singing, drawing and entertaining everyday.

A little sad . . .

#24

. . . but I feel accomplished. I’ve decided square #24 will be my last. Making too many mistakes and spending too much time ripping things out, I feel it’s a sign to stop and making it into a finished piece.

I enjoyed this project immensely and have learned so much from it. My tension has become more even and learned that I can watch Amazon Prime Videos while doing it, even ones with subtitles (haha).

My finish piece will hopefully be done by the end of summer. I even treated myself to some new yarn for t-shirt for my next project.

Thank you so much for this KAL, Arne and Carlos.